Sunday, April 11, 2010

New Personal Study of First Peter


The signs of spring...flowers pushing up from the earth, showing their endurance through the barrenness and cold of the winter season. I love spring...it is my favorite season. This is the 60th spring I have witnessed. In celebration, I have decided to embark on a new Bible study. It seems that I have heard God whispering "First Peter" in my heart for the last decade. Perhaps if I start now, I'll be able to complete it before another ten years slips through my life.

It seems like it was just a few years ago that I turned 38 and started back to college to earn my degree in psychology. At age 41 I became a seminary student with a focus in Greek Biblical studies. Now here I am at a "young" 60 years of age with no spectacular achievements to show for my life. At times that bothers me...like the day I turned 60. Then there are other times when age doesn't mean anything, and just knowing that I have walked faithfully with my Lord across the years is the only accomplishment that really matters.

But I haven't been able to turn off that tune in my head that sings "Study First Peter....see what I have to say to you in this epistle." So here I am ready to crack the bottle against the ship and set sail on a new personal study with my Bible, three commentaries (see side bar), and my interpreter and prompter...the Holy Spirit.

I am in no hurry, but I do feel that there is a reason why I will be studying this book at this time in my life. I always thought the theme of I Peter was holiness. However, as I have read the introductions to the letter authored by the Apostle Peter, it appears that the purpose of the writing is to encourage those Christians of the first century during times of persecution and suffering. That's a little scary for me. Am I going to be walking into another dark tunnel in my life? If so, I know the Lord Jesus Christ will hold my hand and guide me through, as He did for me as I walked through clinical depression at age 37-38.

So, here I go. I will blog as I study, hopefully focusing on the highlights of what the scripture is saying to me and how it applies in my life. Perhaps others will drop in now and then and find tidbits that they can use as they go around the bends of life. I was recently in Gatlinburg at the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort Waterpark, and enjoyed floating in the lazy river. That is how I want to take this trip through First Peter...slowly, relaxed, getting ready for the next bend in the river...not knowing how it will turn, what will be there, or who will be there. But, hey, with Jesus in my float, what have I got to worry about?

No comments: